Senior Accountant – Asheville
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $6.5 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services’ provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Burnsville, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of seventy, including twenty-seven attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 18,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Nature of Position: Work in the Asheville office as part of the accounting team and the entire legal aid staff to support expanding free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to basic needs, particularly housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. The accounting work needed is to assist and back up the accounting team and handle accounting functions that are required.
• Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
• Work with the accounting team to provide financial information by researching, analyzing, and reconciling accounting data
• Assist with financial policies, procedures, and controls while tracking grant terms and conditions and complying with federal, state and local requirements and regulations.
• Ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses
• Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met and prepare financial management reports
• Assist with gathering supporting documentation for creation of journal entries for payroll, fringe benefits, recurring and adjusting entries. Preparation of journal entries is up to and including data entry. Verify month end general ledger balances with supporting documentation.
• Assist with fixed assets and associated depreciation schedules; prepare monthly detail general ledger entries; ensure proper recording of new purchases and disposals.
• Reconcile grants and A/R and A/P accounts and review and analyze reports for all grants and sub grants.
• Assist with grant deadlines and financial reporting requirements over the life of each grant or contract.
• Assist in creating contracts, sub-contracts, sub-awards, sub-grants and grant agreements as needed.
• Assist in preparing budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
• Prepare numerous billing worksheets to accompany invoicing ensuring all supporting documentation is attached and correct
• Assist with annual audit which includes preparing schedules and various other duties required by the auditors.
• Work with a financial accounting system, including financial software and electronic banking process
• Work with the accounting team and development staff to assist with grant applications and to ensure accurate grant reporting, which includes development of project budgets and financial reports.
• Prepare miscellaneous applications, renewals, schedules, or premium audits
• Provide back-up and redundancy for accounting functions.
• Provide back-up and redundancy for certain HR and office administration functions.
• A.S. or A.A. Degree in Accounting
• 5 years of experience in non-profit applied accounting principles preferred
• Non-profit experience preferred
• Knowledge of general accounting principles
• Invoicing experience
• CPA or equivalent certification is an asset
• Self-motivated, able to work independently
• Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
• Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Experience with Adobe Acrobat or Creative Cloud a plus
• Experience working with accounting databases
• Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
• Valid driver’s license
Salary $47,058 – $77,748 based on years of experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k), as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to [email protected] PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.