Pisgah Legal Services provides free legal help in non-criminal matters to people who cannot afford a private attorney.
To apply for services, please call our office or click below:
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
(828) 253-0406 or toll free 1-800-489-6144
Para información en Español, aprete aquí.
If you are homebound, or have a court date that needs action at once, please tell the receptionist when you call. If you are asked to come in for an appointment, please bring all papers related to your case.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to equal justice for all people. Our attorneys, staff and volunteers:
- Assist Children in Crisis
- Address Fraud/Protect Consumers
- Protect Seniors
- Stop Domestic Violence
- Prevent Homelessness/Eviction/Foreclosure
- Access Health Care
- Secure Essential Benefits
- Assist Immigrants
- HEALS: A Medical & Legal Partnership
To qualify for help from PLS, you must:
1. Meet our low-income guidelines. We determine if you qualify by looking at income, family size, assets, and living expenses.
2. Have a problem that affects your basic needs.
PLS primarily helps people in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Transylvania,and Yancey counties. We provide limited immigration services in other Western North Carolina counties.
Because we have limited funds to serve more than 100,000 eligible people in eight counties, we cannot take every case. We try to help those with the greatest need and give priority to some types of legal problems (see above).
What types of cases does PLS NOT handle?
- PLS does not handle criminal cases.
- We do not usually handle cases where a private attorney could receive a fee as part of money awarded by a court or agency.
- We do not usually handle personal injury cases, divorces, bankruptcies, property transactions, or traffic accident cases.
Do you need help signing up for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) ?
Find out how, or call us at 828-210-3404.