With your support, we are changing lives and strengthening Western North Carolina.
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a nonprofit organization that provides a broad array of free, civil legal aid, anti-poverty advocacy and access to health care to people with low incomes in Western North Carolina.
21,696 people were helped by PLS in 2022.
More than 6,500 of them were children.*
HOUSING 4,159 people helped to stabilize housing and prevent homelessness
SAFETY 7,410 people helped to escape domestic abuse and rebuild their lives
HEALTH 5,659 people assisted to increase their access to health care, including ACA health insurance
INCOME 1,759 people helped to increase their basic income, including free tax aid
*Includes all household members, cases closed and pending and those served through NC Medicaid Ombudsman. Some may be helped and counted more than once.
$24 million + was secured in quantifiable benefits, including:
- $750,646 in benefits for people with disabilities
- $1,090,499 tax refunds secured
- $635,372 estimated in Medicaid and Medicare benefits, payable to WNC medical providers
- $8,067,163 in monetary benefits for clients, such as home equity preserved from foreclosure, child support, etc.
- $12,893,288 estimated health insurance premium tax credits
- $654,000 value of pro bono hours donated
Special thanks to the volunteer attorneys and community members donated more than 10,000 hours of their time in 2022.