Pisgah Legal Services seeks to pursue justice by providing legal assistance and advocacy to help low-income people in Western North Carolina meet their basic needs and improve their lives.
What We Do
Pisgah Legal Services is an innovative nonprofit founded in 1978 that:
- provides free civil legal aid to people who live in poverty;
- helps more than 18,000 of the most vulnerable people in our communities annually to meet urgent needs such as: housing, safety from abuse, health care and income;
- partners with dozens of other agencies to make sustainable change for people in crisis;
- coordinates the services of more than 300 pro bono attorneys in WNC;
- improves systems and policies that impact the lives of thousands of low-income people.
We employ 25 staff attorneys and work with approximately 300 lawyers who generously volunteer their time and talent to help the people of our mountain region.
Pisgah Legal Services provides a broad array of free, civil legal services in 11 WNC counties, and offers health and immigration law services in 18 counties.
The 11 counties are:
PLS has six offices Asheville, Burnsville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Marshall, and Rutherfordton and has added staff in 2020 to serve the people of the Plateau (Highlands/Cashiers) and those living throughout Macon and Jackson counties.
Read more about our work in the Pisgah Legal Annual Report.