Pisgah Legal Services Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (PLS LITC) serves Western North Carolina by offering tax controversy services to low-income taxpayers. Our attorneys are dedicated to helping taxpayers understand and manage their tax issues, regardless of language barriers.
PLS LITC provides low-income taxpayers with representation in federal and state tax controversies and educates individuals about their rights and responsibilities as U.S. taxpayers.
Our Services Focus On:
- Legal representation in tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service, and in certain circumstances, the North Carolina Department of Revenue
- Consultations about tax matters
- Education about taxpayer rights and responsibilities; and
- Advocacy efforts to resolve systemic tax issues that affect low-income and ESL taxpayers.
Please Note: While attorneys and staff associated with PLS LITC generally do not prepare tax returns, contact PLS’s tax assistance team for assistance with free tax return preparation through the IRS VITA program by calling 828-210-3404.
- Our tax staff and volunteers accept many types of federal and state tax cases, such as cases involving:
- Collection issues, including Offers-in-Compromise, installment agreements and Currently-Not-Collectible status
- Examination, including audit reconsideration
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Innocent and injured spouse claims
- Tax Court litigation
- Identity theft
- Cancellation of debt
- Employment classification
PLS LITC conducts community outreach and provides community legal education, including presentations and speaking engagements, to residents of eligible counties and to the staff of other agencies.
If you received a notice or letter from the IRS and need assistance, please contact us:
Apply online for services or call PLS at (828) 253-0406 or toll-free at (800) 489-6144.