Volunteer Attorneys Make a Difference in WNC
More than 300 volunteer attorneys provide thousands of hours of free legal help to our low-income neighbors each year. Volunteer attorneys are changing lives in our region. Thank you!
How Volunteer Attorneys Help
- Volunteer attorneys provide legal representation, brief consultation and advice to Pisgah Legal clients, who have been interviewed to ensure they are eligible for our services.
- Volunteers assist with a wide array of civil legal matters, including landlord/tenant law, protective orders and family law remedies for domestic violence victims, consumer law, advanced directives, elder law, and public benefits.
Training & Support for Volunteer Attorneys
- Pisgah Legal Services provides training (including free CLEs), mentoring and co-counseling opportunities for volunteer attorneys.
- Pisgah Legal Services’ malpractice insurance covers the activities of our volunteer attorneys.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions.
Want to get involved?
- Do you have an active NC law license? Fill out this form to indicate your interest in volunteering or contact Katie Russell Miller at [email protected], 828-210-3420. Learn more about the Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program here.
- Are you a retired attorney or have an active license in a state other than NC? Fill out this form to indicate your interest in volunteering or contact Max Gibbons at [email protected]. Learn more about our EAGLE Program here.
Ready to close a pro bono case?
Click here for case closing forms.
Contact Katie Russell Miller [email protected], 828-210-3420.
North Carolina ethics guidelines suggest that attorneys in our state aspire to provide 50 hours of pro bono services per year to people who cannot afford an attorney.