Domestic Violence/ Family Law Attorney (Asheville)
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS’ annual budget consists of individual contributions and grants from governments, United Ways, Interest On Lawyers Trust Accounts, and foundations. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes six WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of sixty, including attorneys and support staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program serves more than 15,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, and consumer law.
Nature of Position: PLS is seeking a domestic violence / family law N.C. licensed attorney to work out of our Asheville office. The domestic violence team helps victims of domestic violence escape domestic violence and live independent of their abusers and strives to provide holistic services to clients including and beyond the initial protective order.
• Representation and advice to clients in prevention of domestic violence and other poverty law cases.
• Preventive legal education and outreach.
• Some travel within sixty miles of our offices.
• This attorney will also be responsible for keeping abreast of developments in the law and disseminating information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
• Handle a caseload of domestic violence prevention cases, involving frequent 50B, divorce, and custody litigation. Work with domestic violence prevention agencies in the six counties. Some travel within 60 miles is required. Caseload may change in the future to include homelessness prevention and other types of poverty law.
• N.C. licensed attorney
• Spanish language skills would be an asset
• Experience in addressing problems associated with domestic violence, family law, foreclosure prevention, and other areas of poverty law.
Salary ranges from $48,500 – $92,000 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.