Chief Operations Officer
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS’ annual budget of $5.4 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes eight WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of sixty-six, including twenty-five attorneys and supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 16,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Reporting to the executive director (ED), the Chief Operating Officer (COO) will have primarily internal, yet some external responsibilities, to include directing the work of the firm, grant management, program administration, and support for mid-level managers. The COO will partner closely with the ED to chart PLS’s future growth and strategic response to demand for client services that far outstrips PLS resources. In general, the COO will oversee the operations of PLS programs as directed by the ED so that the ED can focus more on external relations, planning, and fundraising.
• Directs all programs and internal operations, including how applicants for assistance access services, setting priorities, developing and expanding programs, grant reporting and program oversight, information technology, and use of office space and resources
• Oversees measurement of program results, including effective systems to gather data to increase and track the flow of cases commensurate with resources and potential resources
• Works with the Executive Director, the Human Resources Director, and supervisors in hiring, evaluating, disciplining, and terminating staff
• Oversees program sustainability, growth, and development including collaborating with grant proposals, developing policies and procedures, and volunteer management
• Supervises and delegates management tasks to the Managing Attorneys and the Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program/ Volunteer Director aka Director of Community Engagement – and provides coverage for them when necessary
• Leads annual planning for program goals and objectives, evaluates progress and effectiveness of program staff, and ensures high standards of advocacy through individual work, teamwork, and accountability.
• Evaluates and tracks the progress of program activities and results as well as the performance of Managing Attorneys, the Director of Community Engagement, and Program Directors
• Provides regular reports to the Executive Director and the Program Committee of the Board of Directors, regarding specific programs, highlighting areas of excellence, areas of concern, and opportunities or needs to adjust programs
• Works with the Human Resources Director to ensure excellence and consistency throughout the organization including staff onboarding processes, leadership development, and a wide array of necessary training
• Leads the identification of best practices and improves internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities
• Leads other team members to improve internal communications and standard operating procedures
• Helps to set the policy advocacy agenda for staff and volunteers
• Represents Pisgah Legal Services in external relations as needed
• Licensed attorney experienced in poverty law, N.C. law license or eligibility to obtain such a license by comity is preferred
• Passionate about the Pisgah Legal Services mission and impact
• Six or more years in a management position in legal services program, other nonprofit organization(s), private law firm, or government agency
• Track record of delivering superior results, commanding respect as a trusted leader, and assuming leadership roles
• Willing to hold staff members accountable to realistic objectives in a demanding environment
• Successful in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities
• Proven ability to work with drive, efficiency, and flexibility
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
• Remains focused in the face of pressure and delivers against timelines
• Able to work extra hours as work demands may require
Salary $90,000 – $120,000 based on six years’ or more experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k), as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to email@example.com. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.