SOAR – Assisting Adults who are Homeless with Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income Applications
SOAR is designed to assist individuals who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless through the application and disability determination process and to gain access to Social Security Administration benefit programs for people with physical and/or mental health disabilities that prevent them from gainful employment. We assist with SSDI/SSI and Medicaid application process and obtain approval if eligible within 3-6 months instead of 2-3 years. Our mission is to improve the quality of life of adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
How Can SOAR Help?
- Step-by-step explanation of help with the Social Security application and disability determination process
- SSI/SSDI can help with access to: a. Income support critical for recovery b. Health insurance c. Housing
- Advocacy and support
Who Is Eligible?
An individual is eligible for free legal services from the PLS SOAR Project if he or she:
- Is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- Has a physical and/or mental disability that qualifies for Social Security, and
- Is low-income (SOAR staff will determine using Federal Poverty Guidelines) People who do not meet these standards may be referred to another attorney or suitable resource.
Call PLS at (828) 253-0406 or toll-free at (800) 489-6144 to apply for services.