Bilingual (Spanish) Homelessness Prevention Social Worker
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $6.5 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of seventy-six, including thirty-two attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 18,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS seeks a full-time Bilingual Housing Social Worker. This position will partner with attorneys and other staff on Pisgah Legal’s Homelessness Prevention Program to help clients connect with resources to address housing problems and homelessness, as well as other challenges they may face. This position will support the rental financial assistance programs to help our clients stabilize and maintain their housing.
The Social Worker will:
• develop relationships with each client based in respect and compassion,
• utilize an empowerment and advocacy approach to promote and protect their clients’ right to self-determination,
• support clients to make their own decisions and life plans,
• work within a Trauma Informed Care framework, recognizing that many of their client’s behaviors and responses may be directly related to traumatic experiences,
• have a deep understanding of the causes and impacts of poverty,
• understand and apply approaches within the social determinants of health framework;
• work to understand the discrimination and oppression that impacts their clients, based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, immigration status, and other factors, and adapt their work accordingly
• passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player and demonstrate a commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
• Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
• Document all work in Legal Server case management software.
• Build relationships with clients to support and meet immediate needs.
• Connect clients with appropriate services to address safety, health, housing, transportation, employment, food, education, substance use & family care needs.
• Explore options to meet needs when necessary services do not exist in a community.
• Organize and conduct community engagement.
• Develop and maintain community relationships with other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
• Travel within our service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
• Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
• Work with volunteers, including volunteer attorneys and social work students.
• Assist with fundraising in coordination with PLS Development Team.
• Interpret attorney-client communications with Spanish-speaking clients, including translation of forms if necessary.
• Passion for and commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
• BSW/ MSW, similar degree or equivalent experience
• Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and the ability to work with someone who is angry, upset, or ill.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with attention to detail.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
• Fluency in Spanish language required
• Demonstrated commitment to equity and justice, including racial equity.
• Experience with tax preparation is preferred but not required.
Salary ranges from $30,690 – $47,672 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to [email protected]. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.