FOR RESIDENTS OF BUNCOMBE COUNTY
Because of COVID-19, many people in WNC need a little extra help right now.
Even if you’re facing eviction or behind on rent, it’s not too late to apply for rental assistance!
BUNCOMBE COUNTY DHHS
- You must have a loss of income due to COVID-19 to be eligible for rental assistance
- To apply call 828-250-5500 or apply online in English or Spanish HERE.
- Provides rental & utilities assistance for families with children facing eviction or utility cut off.
- To apply call 828-255-3066
Dial 211 for information on other services in your area
What should I do if I’m behind on rent and at risk of eviction?
If you have been served an eviction notice or are at risk of eviction, contact Pisgah Legal Services immediately by calling 828-253-0406 or apply online at www.pisgahlegal.org/free-legal-assistance/
North Carolina laws requires that tenants receive the opportunity to defend themselves in court.
Landlords cannot just change the lock, or cut off utilities, or refuse to fix heating or plumbing.
Pisgah Legal advises you NOT to move out prior to a court order unless you have consulted with an attorney first.
Apply for rental assistance immediately! Contact Pisgah Legal and your landlord to see if you can arrange for a payment plan and avoid an eviction. An eviction on your record makes it even more difficult to find housing in an already tight housing market.
Pisgah Legal’s FREE legal aid may be able to help you with other issues!
Pisgah Legal Services provides free legal services for non-criminal issues to people struggling to make ends meet in Western North Carolina. Please click on the links below if you are needing to talk to someone about another legal issue you are facing. Call 828-253-0406 or apply online in English and Spanish at www.pisgahlegal.org/free-legal-assistance/
- Help for renters – including preventing evictions and ensuring safe housing conditions
- Home foreclosure assistance
- Assistance with domestic violence, child abuse and sexual assault issues
- Help managing bills/debt and protection from creditors
- Public benefits-including Medicaid, food stamps (SNAP), and disability income
- Immigration law
- Applying for and maintaining health insurance (this program is available to everyone, regardless of income)
- Driver’s license restoration (Call 828-253-0406 or apply at www.pisgahlegal.org/free-legal-assistance/)
- Removal of old convictions and dismissed cases from criminal record (Call 828-253-0406 or apply at www.pisgahlegal.org/free-legal-assistance/)