Hosted by Pisgah Legal Services, the City of Asheville, and Buncombe County, the 2017 Housing Summit on Sept. 29th brought together policy experts, local government officials, developers, and community partners for a day of discussions designed to encourage new and replicable models of affordable housing development.
The Summit featured a keynote address by Pulitzer Prize winning author Matthew Desmond, a presentation by designer-builder Bruce Tolar of the Incremental Development Alliance, and breakout sessions on development, design, finance, local policy and incentives, and emerging trends in the field.
Session topics included:
- Bringing New Players & New Designs to the Table in Development
- Citizen’s Guide to Affordable Housing Development
- Development Services & State Building Code – Pitfalls and Tips
- Fair Housing Act – Policy and Practice
- Finance Perspectives Panel
- Financial & Zoning Incentives – City of Asheville & Buncombe County
- Financing Affordable Housing
- Greening Affordable Housing
- Public Relations & Advocacy Strategies: Introducing Communities to New Projects
- Resident & Community Engagement Strategies
- Supportive Housing Strategies
- Universal Design & Accessibility
Videos of many of the sessions from the Housing Summit can help continue the conversation on strengthening our communities and providing affordable housing.
|Opening Remarks with Matthew Desmond||Citizen’s Guide to Affordable Housing|
Financial and Zoning Incentives
|Missing Middle and Incremental Development||Resident and Community Engagement Strategies|
|Bringing New Players and New Designs to the Table in Development||Legislative Update from the NC Housing Coalition|