The Earned Income Tax Program at Pisgah Legal Services provides FREE tax preparation by IRS certified volunteers for qualifying families* with a gross income of $55,000 or less.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) means money in your pocket! One out of five eligible families do not claim this credit and may be missing out on hundreds or even thousands of dollars per year. Make an appointment and see if you are eligible today.
For eligibility and appointments call (828) 210-3785 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name and phone number. You will receive a phone call from an EITC Program Screener (828.253.0406) to see if you’re eligible for our free tax prep and if so, schedule an appointment. These calls take about 10 minutes.
Appointments will be held on Wednesdays and some Saturdays during tax season at Pisgah Legal Services’ Asheville office, located at 62 Charlotte Street. Tax Preparation is done by appointment only.
Please bring the following documentation to your appointment:
• Proof of identification (photo ID)
• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
• An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
• Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
• Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
• Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
• Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
*All taxpayers must be screened/ interviewed by phone prior to setting an appointment. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is limited to preparation of tax returns that meet the guidelines set by the IRS.