Poverty Law Attorney – Madison/ Yancey/ Mitchell
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. PLS directly serves 16,000+ people annually and provides community education and outreach to many other low-income people.
PLS is seeking a full-time N.C. licensed attorney to handle poverty law cases in Madison, Yancey and Mitchell counties. Legal aid experience would be helpful. Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous attorney and a team-player, and being committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important.
• Work from remote locations in Marshall, Bakersville and/or Burnsville.
• Conduct client interview; advise and represent as appropriate. (This may include representation, preparation for self-representation, obtaining continuances for assessment, and referring cases to other PLS staff attorneys.)
• Document all work in Legal Server case management software.
• Organize and conduct outreach and educational presentations.
• Establish branch office(s) within service area.
• Develop and maintain relationships with other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
• Travel within our service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
• Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
• Keep abreast of developments in the law and disseminate information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
• Work with volunteers as needed.
• Represent and advise clients in judicial and administrative hearings in landlord/tenant, consumer, public benefits, domestic violence and other areas as needed.
• N.C. licensed attorney
• Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams.
• Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
Salary ranges from $48,500 – $92,000 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.