Legal Assistant – Medical Legal Partnership
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $6.5 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of seventy-three, including twenty-nine attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 18,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant to support our Medical Legal Partnership (MLP) Program. The purpose of the MLP Program is to improve health and well-being for low-income people by integrating legal advocacy with health care. PLS provides legal assistance to low-income patients to address non-medical barriers to health.
Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player, and a demonstrated commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important. By ensuring that the lowest-income people in Western North Carolina have access to full health services we will increase opportunities for positive health outcomes at the individual and community levels.
• Assist attorneys and screen clients for eligibly for PLS services.
• Screen and process referrals from NCCare360 case management system.
• Conduct presentations to medical staff and providers about MLP Program services and referrals.
• Screen and set appointments for EITC Program as needed. There is potential for more involvement with EITC Program if capacity allows.
• Prepare and edit legal documents, including social security disability applications and medical summaries, and draft client correspondence.
• Conduct client interviews and investigations and provide general administrative support to attorneys to assist in case development.
• Basic computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Scheduling and meeting preparation
• Organize and conduct outreach, educational presentations, and other events as needed in various counties, including some nights and weekends
• Work late afternoon and early evening hours one night per week to increase client access.
• Develop and maintain relationships with communities and other non-profit agencies.
• Travel within the PLS service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
• Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
• Work with volunteers and PLS Development Team.
• Passion for and commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
• Associates degree required/ bachelor’s degree preferred
• Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and the ability to work with someone who is angry, upset, or ill.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with attention to detail.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
• Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
• Experience with tax preparation is preferred but not required.
Salary ranges from $30,000 – $46,600 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to [email protected] PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.