Legal Assistant/ Paralegal – Asheville
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Polk, Rutherford and Transylvania Counties of western North Carolina. These counties are in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are more than 80,000 client-eligible people in these six counties (at or below 125% of the federal poverty level). PLS directly serves 15,000 people annually and provides community education and outreach to many other low-income clients.
PLS is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant or Paralegal in the Asheville office to work with several staff attorneys to help clients meet basic needs. This position also serves as a back-up for other administrative staff and will assist with day-to-day organizational duties.
Applicants should be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous team-player, and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
• Screening clients for eligibility
• Preparing legal documents
• Gathering evidence
• Communicating with clients and witnesses
• Typing case notes
• Assisting attorneys
• Administrative tasks such as logging deposits, sorting mail or other duties as needed
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Word processing skills.
• Experience with data entry.
• Ability to understand, remember, and carry out complex instructions.
• Experience in law office systems.
• Experience working and communicating with low-income population as a legal assistant preferred.
• Fluency in Spanish and English is an asset.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.