Pisgah Legal Services
Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyers Program & Intake Unit
Project Coordinator/Legal Assistant
General: The Project Coordinator/Legal Assistant would be part of a team developing a new model of client intake at Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) in order to serve more people. This position would support the PLS managing attorney in charge of Pisgah Legal’s client intake and a team of volunteer attorneys conducting intake interviews with clients in regular shifts. This position would support the recruitment, training, coordination, and appreciation of volunteers. The position would also be part of the Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program (MAVL) team at Pisgah Legal Services. With the MAVL team, the position would help coordinate the referral of pro bono cases to volunteer lawyers. PLS is a community-based non-profit organization providing free civil legal aid to help more than 15,000 people annually in Western North Carolina. Pisgah Legal staff and volunteers help low-income people with urgent issues, including domestic violence, housing problems and homelessness, access to health care, and more. This is a full-time position based at Pisgah Legal Services’ Asheville, NC office.
• Coordinate a team of volunteer attorneys doing intake interviews at Pisgah Legal Services’ Asheville office, including scheduling shifts and providing support to volunteers during their shifts.
• Help coordinate a recruitment and training program for intake volunteers.
• Communicate with volunteer attorneys to refer MAVL cases and to ensure that cases are handled and closed appropriately.
• Coordinate with in-house staff attorneys, as needed, to refer cases appropriate for volunteer attorneys.
• Communicate with clients about the referral of their case.
• Respond in a timely manner to volunteer attorneys who need assistance with scheduling appointments, notary services or other administrative support for pro bono client services.
• Respond to clients’ inquiries and manage client documents and files.
• Screen applicants for services at PLS and possibly support volunteer screeners.
• Establish strong, working relationships with volunteer attorneys.
• Provide administrative support to managing attorney for the intake unit.
• Typing/word processing: prepare letters, reports, forms and any other material needed by the Intake or MAVL teams.
• Provide back up to front desk receptionist when needed.
• This position will work several shifts per week during regular office hours (8:30 – 5:00) and also one or two evening shifts (until 8pm) per week, as needed to supervise volunteers.
• Other duties as assigned.
Requirements: This position requires a highly organized, detailed oriented, self-starter who can work with staff, volunteers and clients with respect, courtesy and responsiveness. Applicants should have the ability to work with a broad range of people, a commitment to building an innovative program and a passion for social justice. Must be a team player with a “can do” attitude. Other qualifications include:
• Ability to use data base programs and utilize computer technology, including Microsoft Outlook.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships and manage volunteers.
• Organization, accuracy and attention to details.
• Document preparation/word processing skills.
• Spanish language skills are not required but a big plus.
Salary range is $26,000 (entry level) to $44,000 (35 years experience).
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly and disabled are encouraged to apply. Submit resume and cover letter (applications without a cover letter will not be considered) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.