Community Engagement Manager – Highlands/Cashiers Area
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $6.4 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services’ provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Burnsville, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of seventy-three, including twenty-nine attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 18,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking a full-time Community Engagement Manager for the regional office supporting the Plateau Poverty Law Initiative in the Plateau Region of Highlands/Cashiers of Jackson and Macon counties. This position will coordinate fundraising efforts, manage volunteers, conduct outreach events and build and maintain relationships in the two counties to inform potential clients of our services and gain support for PLS. Applicants should be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous team-player, and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
• Work with Executive Director and Director of Development to help identify, cultivate and solicit donors in the Plateau region
• Organize and conduct outreach and educational presentations.
• Establish branch office(s) within service area.
• Develop and maintain relationships with communities and other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
• Possess up-to-date awareness of PLS’ program operations and priorities.
• Create, plan, implement, and staff special projects and events in support of fundraising priorities.
• Represent PLS at select community events, including some evening and weekend events
• Travel within our service area and to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
• Oversee recruitment, training and retention of volunteers, including volunteer attorneys, on a regular basis.
• Manage a portfolio of individuals and create a strong annual donor strategy
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently
• Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
• Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
• Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and ability to assist upset or ill people.
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
Salary ranges from $36,828 – $72,633 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to [email protected] PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.