Domestic Violence Screener and Case Assigner
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. PLS directly serves 16,000+ people annually and provides community education and outreach to many other low-income people.
PLS is seeking a full-time Domestic Violence Intake Screener and Case Assigner in the Asheville office to work with our Mountain Violence Prevention Project (MVPP). The MVPP helps victims in all of our service areas to escape domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, and hate crimes and live independent of their abusers. This position will help identify holistic services available to clients including initial protection orders as well as family law remedies and other supportive services. PLS is committed to serving survivors in marginalized communities.
Applicants should be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous team-player, and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
• Screen applicants for eligibility
• Assign cases to the DV Team attorneys
• Oversee and track calls in Legal Server to ensure applicants are contacted according to guidelines
• Delegate screening lists
• Safety plan with all domestic violence clients
• Provide basic information to applicants relayed by attorneys
• Attend 50b court every Thursday and track the outcomes
• Perform outreach to potential domestic violence clients and to the community
• Help identify and facilitate increased services to underserved populations
• Supervise DV Team screeners and volunteers as needed
• Perform basic secretarial services and data entry (typing, copying, mailing, scheduling appointments, other assistance as needed)
• Perform various administrative duties as needed and assigned
• Oversee regular meetings with screeners and volunteers
• Attend trainings on providing survivor-centered services
• Associates degree required, a bachelor’s degree or a law degree is preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Fluency in Spanish and English is an asset.
• Word processing skills.
• Experience with data entry.
• Ability to understand, remember, and carry out complex instructions.
• Experience working and communicating with low-income population preferred.
Ability to supervise other staff and provide leadership.
Salary $30,000 – $46,600 based on years of experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k), as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.