Domestic Violence/ Generalist Attorney – Hendersonville
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS’ annual budget consists of individual contributions and grants from governments, United Ways, Interest On Lawyers Trust Accounts, and foundations.. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes six WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of sixty, including attorneys and support staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program serves more than 15,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, and consumer law.
Nature of Position: PLS is seeking a full-time N.C. licensed attorney to work out of the PLS Hendersonville office on domestic violence (MVPP)/ family law cases and general poverty law cases including landlord/tenant, consumer law, and public benefits issues. The MVPP helps victims of domestic violence escape domestic violence and live independent of their abusers. MVPP strives to provide holistic services to clients including and beyond the initial protective order.
Applicants should have legal aid experience and be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous attorney and a team-player and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
• Representation and advice to clients in prevention of domestic violence and other poverty law cases.
• Preventive legal education and outreach.
• Some travel within sixty miles of our offices.
• This attorney will also be responsible for keeping abreast of developments in the law and disseminating information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
• Handle a caseload of domestic violence prevention cases, involving frequent 50B and custody litigation. Work with domestic violence prevention agencies in the six counties. Some travel within 60 miles is required. Caseload may change in the future to include homelessness prevention and other types of poverty law.
• N.C. licensed attorney
• Spanish language skills would be an asset
• Experience in addressing problems associated with domestic violence, family law, foreclosure prevention, and other areas of poverty law.
Salary is based on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter to: email@example.com. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.