Accountant – Asheville
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $6.5 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of seventy-six, including thirty-two attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 18,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Nature of Position: Work in the Asheville office as part of the accounting team and the entire legal aid staff to support expanding free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to basic needs, particularly housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. The accounting work needed is to assist and back up the accounting team and handle accounting functions that are required.
• Work with the accounting team to provide financial information by researching, analyzing, and reconciling accounting data as needed
• Assist CFO to ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
• Assist CFO to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
• Verify month end general ledger balances with supporting documentation.
• Assist with fixed assets and associated depreciation schedules; prepare monthly detail general ledger entries; ensure proper recording of new purchases and disposals.
• Assist CFO in preparing budgets by collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
• Assist with annual audit which includes preparing schedules and various other duties required by the CFO and auditors.
• Work with a financial accounting system, including financial software and electronic banking process
• Work with the accounting team and development staff to assist with grant applications, compliance with requirements & regulations, and to ensure accurate grant reporting. This includes development of project budgets, financial reports, and reconciling A/P, A/R & expenses to grants.
• Prepare miscellaneous applications, renewals, schedules, or premium audits
• Provide back-up and redundancy for accounting functions.
• Provide back-up and redundancy for certain HR and office administration functions.
• Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
• B.S. or B.A. Degree in Accounting
• CPA would be valuable but not required
• Knowledge of general accounting principles
• Self-motivated, able to work independently
• Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
• Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Experience working with accounting databases
• Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
• Valid driver’s license
• Non-profit experience preferred
• Invoicing experience preferred (grant experience a plus)
• Experience with Adobe Acrobat or Creative Cloud preferred
Salary $47,058 – $77,748 based on years of experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k), as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to [email protected] PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.