Receptionist/ Screening/ Legal Assistant
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Polk, Rutherford and Transylvania Counties of western North Carolina. These counties are in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are more than 80,000 client-eligible people in these six counties (at or below 125% of the federal poverty level). PLS directly serves 15,000 people annually and provides community education and outreach to many other low-income clients.
PLS is seeking a full-time Receptionist/ Screener/ Legal Assistant to work four days each week at the PLS Charlotte Street location and one day each week at the Buncombe County Family Justice Center. The position involves receptionist work, legal assistant work, and screening of clients for eligibility for services. Applicants should be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous team-player, and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
• Serve as receptionist
• Screening clients for eligibility
• Preparing legal documents
• Gathering evidence
• Communicating with clients and witnesses
• Typing case notes
• Assisting FJC attorneys
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Word processing skills.
• Experience with data entry.
• Ability to understand, remember, and carry out complex instructions.
• Experience in law office systems.
• Experience working and communicating with low-income population as a legal assistant preferred.
• Fluency in Spanish and English is an asset.
Submit resume, cover letter to: email@example.com. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.