How to Get Help
To apply for services from Pisgah Legal Services, please call our office: (Para información en Español, aprete aquí.)
Monday through Friday 8:30am-5:30pm
828.253.0406 or toll free 1.800.489.6144
If you are homebound, or have a court date that needs action at once, please tell the receptionist when you call. Please bring all papers that relate to your case if you come for an interview.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to equal justice for all people. We help children, families, and adults solve problems that affect their basic needs, such as:
- Safety from domestic violence or abuse
- Health care (including Medicaid or Medicare access)
- Subsistence income (SSI, SSDI) Education
We provide legal help in non-criminal matters to people who cannot afford a private attorney.
To get help from PLS, you must:
- Meet our low-income guidelines. We determine if you qualify by looking at income, family size, assets, and living expenses.
- Have a problem that affects your basic needs.
PLS primarily helps people in Buncombe, Madison, Transylvania, Henderson, Polk, Rutherford and Yancey Counties. We provide limited immigration services in other Western North Carolina counties.
Because we have limited funds to serve about 60,000 eligible people in seven counties, we cannot take every case. We try to help those with the greatest need and give priority to some types of legal problems (see above).
What Types of cases does PLS NOT handle?
- PLS does not handle criminal cases.
- We do not usually handle cases where a private attorney could receive a fee as part of money awarded by a court or agency.
- We do not usually handle personal injury cases, divorces, bankruptcies, property transactions, or traffic accident cases.