Major Gifts/Planned Giving Officer
Background: Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes six WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of nearly sixty, including attorneys and support staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program serves more than 15,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, and consumer law. Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS’ annual budget consists of individual contributions and grants from governments, United Ways, Interest On Lawyers Trust Accounts, and foundations that add up to an annual budget of $4.2 million.
Nature of Position: Work as part of a dynamic and experienced development team, the executive director, and the entire legal aid staff to expand free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. Pisgah Legal Services is working to grow its annual campaign, as well as its endowment funds.
- Manage a portfolio of individuals by creating a strong annual donor strategy, transitioning that into a multi-year strategy, and by integrating planned giving, endowment, and other major asks into the strategy where appropriate. Donors will be across PLS’ service area with a focus in Henderson and Transylvania counties.
- Within portfolio, establish and maintain strong personal relationships through stewardship, cultivation and solicitation of 100 major donor families and prospects, and partner with PLS’ Executive Director, Director of Philanthropy, and volunteers to solicit gifts.
- In partnership with Executive Director and Director of Philanthropy, integrate strategies to identify and develop planned giving prospects within the portfolio. Successfully close a significant number of planned gifts annually.
- Work in partnership with a development team to build and maintain current donor profiles.
- Develop and meet ambitious goals within the framework of a strategic metrics plan
- Possess up-to-date awareness of PLS’ program operations and priorities.
- Create, plan, implement, and staff special projects and events in support of fundraising priorities.
- Represent PLS at select community events, including some evening and weekend events
- Identify speaking opportunities for PLS staff at local faith congregations, civic groups and other places.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three or more years of development experience preferred, including substantial major donor and planned giving solicitation experience.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently
- Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
- Excellent interpersonal and customer-service skills
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Highly proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience working with a database (Raisers Edge experience is a plus)
- Residence and relationships in Henderson County are a plus
- Good writing skills
- Valid driver’s license
Salary/Benefits: Salary depends on experience; excellent benefits. This position may be full-time – or part-time of the major gifts functions and planned giving functions are split.
Applications: E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the position for which you are applying in your application.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.