Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyers Program Director
General: Manage Pisgah Legal Services’ innovative and highly successful Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program. Build the capacity of Pisgah Legal Services to provide high quality legal advice and representation to low-income clients by creating opportunities for over 325 volunteer attorneys to offer pro bono legal services to PLS clients. This fast paced, full time position requires strategic planning and a big-picture thinker who can oversee many different pro bono legal services, helping clients to resolve critical issues impacting their basic needs and financial stability.
- Referring cases to volunteer attorneys
- Recruiting volunteer attorneys in all six counties served by Pisgah Legal Services.
- Overseeing the referral of cases to volunteer attorneys and several clinical programs.
- Managing volunteers to leverage the administration of the MAVL program.
- Coordinating and planning MAVL attorney appreciation events, including the luncheons, National Pro Bono week, award ceremonies and CLEs.
- Acting as liaison for MAVL program, including a supportive role on the 28th Judicial District Bar Pro Bono Committee.
- Strategizing for program growth and assisting with grant reporting.
- Representing the MAVL program in the legal community.
- In-taking direct-to-MAVL cases, including expungement, tax, guardianship, and non-profit cases.
- Managing the MAVL team on a day-to-day basis.
- Other duties as assigned.Skills Required: This position requires a professional who has a broad knowledge of civil law or willingness to learn. Prior experience working with legal pro bono programs is a plus. Applicant must also demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and a disposition to managing a team with hundreds of open cases and many different clinical programs. Proficiency with client databases a plus. Prefer candidate with strong local attorney relationships. Prior experience working with attorneys and/or a NC law license is preferred. Position involves considerable clerical and administrative work.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly and disabled are encouraged to apply. Submit resume and cover letter by April 15, 2016, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.