Health Advocate, Medical-Legal Partnership Program
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in the area surrounding Asheville, North Carolina, a six-county area in the Blue Ridge Mountains. More information about Pisgah Legal Services can be found at www.pisgahlegal.org
Pisgah Legal Services is seeking a health advocate who will represent the organization in a multidisciplinary team as the primary staff position in a new medical-legal partnership program with Hot Springs Health Program in Madison County, NC. The health advocate will educate the community, coordinate with the health care providers, and coordinate with the social service sector about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), public benefits, and the connection between health and poverty.
This position will involve a high volume of individual appointments and community outreach events and presentations.
- Conduct education and outreach about the ACA and Federally Facilitated Marketplaces (FFMs) to individuals with primary focus on Madison County residents;
- Develop relationships with local community organizations and partners to engage in community education, outreach, and enrollment assistance activities;
- Facilitate individual enrollment through one-on-one in person meetings with consumers;
- Work closely with Hot Springs Health Program staff at various sites;
- Work with other local Navigators, FQHCs, and CACs to organize enrollment fairs and clinics;
- Help individuals understand premium tax credits and their potential financial impact;
- Facilitate plan selection according to federal regulations and based on the needs of the individual/family or the small business seeking health insurance coverage;
- Provide referrals to appropriate agencies and serve as liaison between PLS and Hot Springs Health Program for legal case referrals;
- Facilitate eligibility determinations for QHP, Medicaid, Health Choice, and SHOP and premium tax subsidies;
- Provide all information and services in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate and ensure accessibility for individuals with disabilities;
- Provide technical expertise to volunteers and consumers about the ACA and Medicaid rules; and
- Educate patients about how PLS can help them deal with health-harming situations such as domestic abuse, housing problems, consumer debt, and access to health care.
- Four-year degree in social work, public health, public policy, communications, or related field.
- Bilingual proficiency in English and Spanish preferred.
- Experience working with low-income communities preferably at a non-profit or community-based organization within a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in public benefit eligibility or enrollment and/or work experience as an enrollment service representative and with community organizing.
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Adobe PDF professional.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with co-workers and clients face-to-face and in meeting settings.
- General Requirements
- Must successfully complete and pass the current federal Certification Training provided by Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Options (CCIIO).
- Must be free from conflicts of interests, including payments and incentives from brokers, insurers or insurance industry.
- Must own a reliable car and have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends with comp time provided.
- Must possess socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and the realization and sensitivity that the Navigator may come in contact with angry, upset, or ill persons.
- Must be able to multi-task with long periods of sitting or standing and interact with professionals, clients, patients, and other office personnel.Submit résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com.
- Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.