Staff Attorney-Medical Legal Partnership Program
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in the area surrounding Asheville, North Carolina, a six-county area in the Blue Ridge Mountains. More information about Pisgah Legal Services can be found at www.pisgahlegal.org.
Pisgah Legal Services is seeking an attorney who will represent the organization in a multidisciplinary team as the primary staff attorney in a medical legal partnership program with RHA Health Services. The position will represent clients who are a part of RHA Health Services’ Comprehensive Care Management (CCM) Program, handling cases with an emphasis on Social Security Disability, SSI Disability and SOAR (Social Security Outreach, Access and Recovery). In addition to these areas of law, the staff attorney will be expected to address civil legal issues involved in the social determinants of health: health care insurance and services through Medicaid, Medicare and the Affordable Care Act, housing law, consumer law, and family law.
This position will involve a high volume of case handling and consultations. Representation will be required in a variety of court and administrative hearing settings. The position will spend the majority of time co-located with the CCM team in Mission Hospital Emergency Department.
Substantive knowledge and experience in the areas of Social Security/SSI law, both disability and non-disability is greatly preferred. Experience in representing and advocating for low income people and on issues affecting people with disabilities is preferred.
PLS seeks applicants with the following qualifications:
• N.C. licensed attorney or commitment to become licensed in N.C. promptly
• Experience in handling Social Security Disability, SSI Disability cases and/or NC SOAR trained
• Excellent writing, analytic, interpersonal, and public speaking skills
• Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment – including with non-lawyers
• Strong organizational skills and adept at managing multiple priorities and deadlines
• Prior legal experience preferred, particularly experience working on public benefits legal issues
• A willingness to handle a varied case load
• An understanding of the civil legal needs of low-income people, including the unique needs of populations that experience particular barriers to access to justice systems
• Ability to effectively communicate, to motivate others, and to work collaboratively with diverse groups of people with varying perspectives, and experience and expertise
• Ability and willingness to learn and integrate new technologies and methodologies to efficiently perform responsibilities
• A willingness to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients, the public, and partners
Salary/Benefits: Depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, dental, and disability insurance.
Applications: Please submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.