Pisgah Legal Services
Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyers Program
General: The Project Coordinator is part of a team of staff coordinating Pisgah Legal Services’ innovative and highly successful Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program (MAVL) in Asheville, N.C. Join the team to expand Pisgah Legal’s capacity to provide legal advice and representation to low-income clients by helping to coordinate the work of more than 300 volunteer attorneys who offer pro bono legal services to PLS clients. Volunteers assist clients with legal matters that impact their safety, financial stability and well being. This full-time position will provide project coordination and administrative program support to refer cases to volunteer attorneys and to support the recruitment, training and appreciation of volunteers. PLS is a community-based non-profit organization serving more than 15,000 people annually in Western North Carolina.
• Communicate with volunteer attorneys to refer cases and to ensure that cases are handled and closed appropriately.
• Coordinate with in-house staff attorneys to refer cases appropriate for volunteer attorneys.
• Communicate with clients about the referral of their case.
• Respond in a timely manner to volunteer attorneys who need assistance with scheduling appointments, notary services or other administrative support for pro bono client services.
• Respond to clients’ inquiries and manage client documents and files.
• Train and supervise “non-attorney” volunteers for a variety of roles to support the MAVL program.
• Establish strong relationships with volunteer attorneys through email, phone and in-person communication.
• Help organize legal clinics, outreach events, attorney appreciation events, orientation sessions and other events.
• Support volunteer attorney recruitment efforts.
• Assist with MAVL marketing and publicity efforts.
• Typing/word processing: prepare letters, reports, forms and any other material needed by MAVL team.
• Provide occasional back up to front desk receptionist when needed.
• Occasional evening work may be required.
• Other duties as assigned.
Requirements: This position requires a highly organized, detailed oriented, self-starter who can work with staff, volunteers and clients with respect, courtesy and responsiveness. Applicants should have the ability to work with a broad range of people, a commitment to building an innovative program and a passion for social justice. Must be a team player with a “can do” attitude. Other qualifications include:
• Ability to use data base programs and utilize computer technology, including Microsoft Outlook.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships and manage volunteers.
• Organization, accuracy and attention to details.
• Document preparation/word processing skills.
• Spanish language skills are not required but a big plus.
• Valid NC Driver’s License and car necessary to carry out job responsibilities.
Salary range is $26,000 (entry level) to $44,000 (35 years experience).
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly and disabled are encouraged to apply. Submit resume and cover letter (applications without a cover letter will not be considered) to email@example.com. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.