Pisgah Legal Services
Mountain Violence Prevention Project
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes six WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of nearly sixty, including attorneys and support staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program serves more than 15,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, and consumer law. Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors.
Scope of the position
Under direct supervision of the PLS Executive Director, the PLS Managing Attorneys are responsible for extensive responsibilities in each of the following categories:
• Operational and program management, including structural oversight
• Legal advocacy and implementation of PLS mission and priorities
• Fiscal responsibility and budget management
• Program development
• Data reports and program evaluation
• Agency legal practice and liability risk-management
• Professional development and staff training
• Community engagement
• Strategic planning
• Other duties as needed
• Oversee the DV Mountain Violence Prevention Project (MVPP) program and other programs as funding and resources require
• Establish and maintain professional relationships with partner agencies
• Manage program implementation and data reporting appropriate to the Managing Attorney’s teams and programs
• Supervise team leaders and non-team leader staff members according to supervision chart
• Implement training for staff
• Participate in management meetings and strategic planning
• Represent PLS at community meetings and on boards related to policy areas, poverty law practice and funding goals
• Work closely with Fundraising team to ensure the community is educated about the work of PLS
• Organize, oversee and provide impact advocacy on broad-reaching poverty law issues
• Work with in-house volunteers—attorneys and non-attorneys– to maximize support and advocacy efforts
• Ensure case handling supervision and support on a regular basis to advocates
• Strategize program development that aligns and supports the PLS mission.
• Review, analyze and submit program budgets
• Write and submit grant/funding reports
• Research and develop new grant and funding opportunities
• Monitor data for compliance with funding requirements for each team
• Conduct program evaluation
• Monitor, in collaboration with Program Directors, advocate case workloads to ensure the appropriate level of cases commensurate with advocate experience and supervision
• Address internal and external conflicts of interest and resolve
• Analyze programmatic and employee risk-management issues and respond appropriately
• Ensure PLS compliance with all federal and statute regulatory bodies
• Adhere to and make certain that supervisees adhere to PLS personnel manual, case acceptance standards and supervision guidelines.
• Oversee the day-to-day legal operations of PLS
• Respond to client and community complaints and grievances
• Licensed to practice law in any state (NC preferred)
• Experience in Family Law – custody, divorce, equitable distribution, domestic violence
• At least 5 years of experience practicing law
• Supervision experience required
• Meticulous organizational habits with the ability to manage large amounts of information, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
• A demonstrated interest in low-income legal work
• Ability to work effectively with victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and trauma
Salary/Benefits: Depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Applications: Please submit resume and cover letter to Employment@pisgahlegal.org.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly and disabled are encouraged to apply.