Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Polk, Rutherford and Transylvania Counties of western North Carolina. These counties are in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are more than 80,000 client-eligible people in these six counties (at or below 125% of the federal poverty level). PLS directly serves almost 15,000 people annually and provides community education and outreach to many other low-income clients.
PLS seeks a full time supervising immigration attorney to lead our Justice For All Project (JFAP). This position will work primarily out of our Hendersonville Office with one day a week out of our Asheville Office. JFAP serves the 17 Westernmost North Carolina counties by providing direct legal assistance to immigrants seeking immigration status and other basic needs.
- Provide direct immigration legal services and representation to Immigrants before USCIS, EOIR, and ICE.
- Supervise work of 1-2 BIA Accredited Representatives, 1 attorney new to immigration law, various support staff, and volunteers.
- Contribute to the development of grant proposals and reports.
- Conduct trainings to community partners, outreach events with immigrant communities, and onsite intake days.
Qualifications: Licensed to practice law in any state (NC preferred).
- At least 2 years of experience practicing immigration law required.
- Spanish language fluency preferred.
- A demonstrated interest in low-income legal services and/or a commitment to immigrants’ rights.
- Ability to work effectively with victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and trauma.
- Supervision experience required.
- Meticulous organizational habits with the ability to manage large amounts of information, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent complex legal analysis and writing skills.
Salary/Benefits: Depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Applications: Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly and disabled are encouraged to apply. Submit resume, cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org by February 29, 20166. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.