Pisgah Legal Services provides free legal help in non-criminal matters to people who cannot afford a private attorney.
To apply for services from PLS, please call our office:
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
(828) 253-0406 or toll free 1-800-489-6144
Para información en Español, aprete aquí.
If you are homebound, or have a court date that needs action at once, please tell the receptionist when you call. If you are asked to come in for an appointment, please bring all papers related to your case.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to equal justice for all people. Our attorneys, staff and volunteers:
- Assist Children in Crisis
- Address Fraud/Protect Consumers
- Protect Seniors
- Stop Domestic Violence
- Prevent Homelessness/Eviction/Foreclosure
- Access Health Care
- Secure Essential Benefits
- Assist Immigrants
- HEALS: A Medical & Legal Partnership
To qualify for help from PLS, you must:
1. Meet our low-income guidelines. We determine if you qualify by looking at income, family size, assets, and living expenses.
2. Have a problem that affects your basic needs.
PLS primarily helps people in Buncombe, Madison, Transylvania, Henderson, Polk and Rutherford counties. We provide limited immigration services in other Western North Carolina counties.
Because we have limited funds to serve about 60,000 eligible people in six counties, we cannot take every case. We try to help those with the greatest need and give priority to some types of legal problems (see above).
What types of cases does PLS NOT handle?
- PLS does not handle criminal cases.
- We do not usually handle cases where a private attorney could receive a fee as part of money awarded by a court or agency.
- We do not usually handle personal injury cases, divorces, bankruptcies, property transactions, or traffic accident cases.
“Daniel” thought he was in good financial shape when he retired to WNC. But when the recession hit, his investments plummeted, and his savings evaporated.
Daniel lost his job, was diagnosed with cancer and started receiving foreclosure notices.
PLS Staff Attorney Molly Maynard (R) successfully halted the foreclosure and is now working to modify the mortgage so that Daniel can afford to stay in his home.