Director of Philanthropy
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes six WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of nearly sixty, including attorneys and support staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program serves more than 15,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, and consumer law. Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS’ annual budget consists of individual contributions and grants from governments, United Ways, Interest On Lawyers Trust Accounts, and foundations.
Nature of Position: Work as part of a dynamic and experienced development team, the executive director, and the entire legal aid staff to expand free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. Pisgah Legal Services is working to grow its annual campaign, as well as its endowment funds.
• Manage all donor-related fundraising initiatives for a regional non-profit law firm with 60 person staff.
• Direct annual campaign and 1,700 donors.
• Collaborate closely with the Executive Director, board, and management team to set fundraising goals and implement strategic plans to enhance community relations and partnerships.
• Supervise a dynamic team of five development professionals to create and implement plans for donor retention, event planning, marketing/communications, and major gifts solicitation.
• Oversee identification, cultivation, and stewardship of 200+ major donors and prospects and gifts.
• Coordinate and direct activities associated with 20- member Development Council made up of community leaders and local attorneys.
• Develop and manage 40+ small and large events annually attended by 20-1,200 people.
• Work together with the Executive Director, Endowment Committee, and Planned Giving Officer on ongoing efforts to increase endowment.
• Serve as a member of the management team to help guide organization’s funding, program, and staffing priorities.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Five or more years of development experience preferred, including substantial major donor and planned giving solicitation experience.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently
• Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
• Excellent interpersonal and customer-service skills
• Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Highly proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Experience working with a database (Raisers Edge experience is a plus)
• Management experience preferred
• Good writing skills
• Valid driver’s license
The salary range for this position is between $47,000 – $80,000, depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter to: email@example.com. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.