Director of Development
Pisgah Legal Services
Pisgah Legal Services seeks an experienced Director of Development with a passion to provide equal access to justice for low-income people, a track record of success with major donor, planned giving and annual campaign programs, and experience managing a team. The Director of Development will lead a dynamic and skilled team of development and communications professionals and will build on Pisgah Legal’s fundraising success.
About the Organization
Founded in 1978, Pisgah Legal Services’ mission is to pursue justice by providing free civil legal assistance and advocacy to help low-income people in Western North Carolina meet their basic needs and improve their lives. Pisgah Legal Services is a leading nonprofit organization in the region to address issues of poverty and injustice. In 2017, Pisgah Legal Services helped more than 15,750 people.
Pisgah Legal Services has a strong network of relationships with local partners, funders, and government agencies. It has a committed 20 member Board, a 15-20 member development council, an experienced and dedicated staff, and an annual budget of approximately $4.5 million. Pisgah Legal Services’ has offices in five counties, with our main office in downtown Asheville. Pisgah Legal Services has a management team that consists of the Executive Director, CFO, two managing attorneys, the Director of Development, HR Director, and staff representative. PLS has 22 staff attorneys and 300+ volunteer attorneys. The organizational culture can be described as client-centered, hardworking, adaptable, compassionate, responsive to community, and grateful donors, partners, and volunteers.
Pisgah Legal Services provides direct legal services to many of the most vulnerable people in our region, including victims of domestic violence, families at risk of homelessness, disadvantaged children, individuals with disabilities, senior citizens, immigrants and the working poor. These services are provided by 22 staff attorneys and 300+ volunteer attorneys. In addition to providing direct services, Pisgah Legal Services also works to effect systemic change through policy advocacy, community collaboration and community economic development strategies, in order to reduce poverty and increase access to justice.
Pisgah Legal Services is a known locally and nationally for its effectiveness and impact.
Western North Carolina is a culturally-rich region that is both economically and geographically diverse. The Director of Development (Philanthropy) is based in Asheville, located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, is home to a remarkably large nonprofit sector, and is characterized by political and cultural diversity.
Pisgah Legal Services seeks an individual to provide the inspired external and internal leadership required of this role. The new Director of Development must have proven, significant, and successful development experience. The Director of Development must have proven success with major donor, annual campaign and planned giving programs, and have led efforts to raise at least $1,000,000 annually. The Director of Development will lead a team of five development and communications professionals and must demonstrate effective management, leadership and supervisory skills.
The incoming Director of Development (Director of Philanthropy) will succeed Betsy Ellis, who recently accepted a terrific opportunity for continued career growth.
• Manage all donor-related fundraising initiatives for a regional non-profit law.
• Direct annual campaign (currently 1,700 donors).
• Collaborate closely with the Executive Director, board, and management team to set fundraising goals and implement strategic plans to enhance community relations and partnerships.
• Supervise a dynamic team of five development professionals to create and implement plans for donor retention, event planning, marketing/communications, and major gifts solicitation.
• Oversee identification, cultivation, and stewardship of 200+ major donors and prospects.
• Coordinate and direct activities associated with 20- member Development Council made up of community leaders and local attorneys.
• Develop and manage 15+ small and large events annually attended by 20-1,000 people per event.
• Work together with the Executive Director, Endowment Committee, and Planned Giving Officer on ongoing efforts to increase endowment funds.
• Serve as a member of the management team to help guide organization’s funding, program, and staffing priorities.
• A demonstrated understanding of the issues related to poverty and ambition to reduce and address those issues.
• Substantial experience with fundraising practices and relationship cultivation within the areas of foundation, government, corporate and individual giving
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal and public speaking skills, and experience with diverse populations and multiple constituencies
• A successful record of leadership and management experience
• An ability to connect with the younger generation of philanthropists and collaborators, with an understanding of social media and its potential
• A warm personality to further relationships with major donors.
• Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Experience navigating a fundraising database (Raisers Edge experience is a plus)
• Valid driver’s license
The salary range for this position is between $50,000 – $80,000, depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “Director of Development” on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.