Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes six WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of nearly sixty, including attorneys and support staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program serves more than 15,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, and consumer law. Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS’ annual budget consists of individual contributions and grants from governments, United Ways, Interest On Lawyers Trust Accounts, and foundations.
Nature of Position: Work as part of a dynamic and experienced development team, the executive director, and the entire legal aid staff to expand free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. Pisgah Legal Services is working to grow its annual campaign, as well as its endowment funds.
Overview: The position will focus approximately 50% on the annual campaign and planned giving and 50% on data analysis and grants.
• Oversee coordination of tasks associated with the Annual Campaign including but not limited to mail solicitations, events, attorney phone-a-thon, social media and email communications.
• Work with Executive Director, Director of Philanthropy and Senior Giving Officer to organize and document communications, activities and strategies associated with major giving and planned giving efforts.
• Manage and execute robust donor stewardship program, utilizing staff, board members and development council volunteers.
• Provide oversight and support for events, including two large yearly events- Jazz for Justice and the Poverty Forum.
• Cultivate and solicit corporate support for signature events and Annual Campaign.
• Organize and execute all tasks associated with annual attorney campaign, including yearly, multi-day phone-a-thon.
• Write/prepare grant applications and reports as needed to support Grants Manager.
• Utilize databases (Raisers’ Edge and Legal Server) for researching and collecting information for fundraising planning and reporting.
• Actively coordinates donor engagement activities and follow-up.
• Ensures that fundraising/project milestones are on track to meet goals and deadlines
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Three or more years of development experience preferred, including substantial major donor and planned giving solicitation experience.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently
• Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
• Excellent interpersonal and customer-service skills
• Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Highly proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Experience working with a database (Raisers Edge experience is a plus)
• Experience with data analysis and reporting (Legal Server experience is a plus)
• Good writing skills
• Valid driver’s license
Salary ranges from $37,000 – $67,000 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.