Assistant Chief Financial Officer
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS’ annual budget consists of individual contributions and grants from governments, United Ways, Interest On Lawyers Trust Accounts, and foundations that add up to an annual budget of $4.5 million. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services’ primary service area includes six WNC counties, in a mostly rural setting. The organization has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of sixty, including attorneys and support staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program serves more than 15,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, and consumer law.
Nature of Position: Work in Asheville as part of a dynamic and experienced management team and the entire legal aid staff to support expanding free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. The CFO plans to retire in 2020, so the person in this position might eventually be promoted to CFO. Pisgah Legal Services needs this person to help back up and assist with functions of the HR Director/Office Administrator.
• Provide financial information by researching and analyzing accounting data; preparing reports and reporting results to the management and Board of Directors.
• Establish and maintain financial policies, procedures, controls while tracking grant terms and conditions and complying with federal, state and local requirements and regulations.
• Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing financial policies and procedures.
• Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
• Prepare for annual audit which includes preparing schedules and various other duties required by the auditors.
• Prepare budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
• Oversee the financial accounting system, including financial software and electronic banking process
• Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
• Work with the management and development staff to complete high quality grant applications and to ensure accurate grant reporting, which includes development of project budgets and financial reports.
• Supervise accounting staff, as assigned.
• Protect operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
• Provide back-up and redundancy for accounts payable, accounts receivable
• Assist with certain HR and office administration tasks
• A.S. or A.A. Degree in Accounting
• 5 years of experience in non-profit applied accounting principles preferred
• CPA preferred
• Management experience preferred
• Self-motivated, able to work independently
• Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
• Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Highly proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Experience working with accounting databases
• Good writing skills
• Valid driver’s license
• Committed to the anti-poverty mission of Pisgah Legal Services
Salary $50,000+ based on five years’ or more experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k), as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.