Community Economic Development Educator
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Polk, Rutherford and Transylvania Counties of western North Carolina. These counties are in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are more than 80,000 client-eligible people in these six counties (at or below 125% of the federal poverty level). PLS directly serves 15,000 people annually and provides community education and outreach to many other low-income clients.
PLS is seeking a full-time Community Educator to develop and promote community economic development projects. Applicants should have at least two years of community development experience, and be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous team-player, and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
- Plan, develop and conduct educational programs to the public upon requests and in a clear, professional and timely manner.
- Work collaboratively and professionally with external educators to develop and provide educational and information materials.
- With other staff, create and complete projects that may include neighborhood planning, creation of affordable housing, development of community-controlled businesses and new living wage jobs, and expansion of health, educational, employment, and other services.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
- Participate in committees and works with business to promote programs and provide information.
- Assist with community education and marketing campaigns as needed.
- Travel within our service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
- Two to three years of community economic development experience
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons and low-income communities
- Experience with community economic development strategies to strengthen low-income communities by creating and preserving affordable housing and jobs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset
Salary based on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter to: email@example.com. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.