Community Economic Development Attorney(s)
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based, non-profit law firm which provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Polk, Rutherford and Transylvania Counties of western North Carolina. These counties are in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are more than 80,000 client-eligible people in these six counties (at or below 125% of the federal poverty level). PLS directly serves 15,000 people annually and provides community education and outreach to many other low-income clients.
PLS is seeking one or two full-time N.C. licensed attorney(s) to work on Community Economic Development issues related to developing and preserving affordable housing as well as creating jobs for lower income people. Applicants should have at least two years of legal aid experience, and be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous attorney and a team-player, and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
- Organize and conduct outreach and educational presentations.
- Create and complete projects that may include neighborhood planning, creation of affordable housing, development of community-controlled businesses and new living wage jobs, and expansion of health, educational, employment, and other services.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
- Travel within our service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
- Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Keep abreast of developments in the law and community economic development field and disseminate information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
- Work with volunteers as needed
- N.C. licensed attorney
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
- Experience with community development law or strategies or the provision of legal services to strengthen low-income communities is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams.
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
Salary based on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter to: email@example.com. Please specify this position on the cover letter and resume.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.