About Us: Mission & History
To pursue justice by providing legal assistance and advocacy to help low-income people in Western North Carolina meet their basic needs and improve their lives.
What We Do
Pisgah Legal Services is an innovative, responsive nonprofit law firm founded in 1978 that:
- provides free civil legal aid to very low-income people;
- helps more than 14,000 of the most vulnerable people in our communities annually to meet urgent needs--housing, safety from abuse, health care and income;
- partners with dozens of other agencies to make sustainable change for people in crisis;
- coordinates the pro bono services of more than 300 area attorneys;
- improves systems and policies that impact the lives of thousands of low-income people.
Click here to view our 2013 Annual Report
Click here to view our 2012 Annual Report.
At Pisgah Legal Services, 18 staff attorneys and more than 300 volunteer attorneys help low-income people avoid homelessness, escape domestic violence, access health care and meet other basic needs.
Pisgah Legal's primary service area includes six counties: Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Polk, Rutherford, and Transylvania Counties. We provide limited services in a total of seventeen Western North Carolina counties. Pisgah Legal Services is the primary provider of legal aid in our service area.