2017 Affordable Housing Summit
presented together with
Friday, September 29, 2017
The Sherrill Center/Kimmel Arena, UNC Asheville
Registration is free, and breakfast and lunch are included.
Registration is closed, but a wait list is available here.
Contact Justin Edge at Pisgah Legal Services at 828-407-4493.
Join us for the 2017 Affordable Housing Summit on September 29 at UNC Asheville’s Sherrill Center/Kimmel Arena. The Summit will bring together developers, investors, planners, local government officials, and policy experts in a day of discussions designed to encourage creative and replicable models of affordable development and to bring new players to the field.
Registration begins at 8:00am, and the day’s program runs from 8:30am to 3:30pm. The Summit will begin with a keynote by Pultizer Prize winning author Matthew Desmond, followed with morning and afternoon sessions in concurrent tracks on development/design, finance, policy, and emerging trends. Over lunch, Bruce Tolar of the Incremental Development Alliance will speak on Missing Middle development strategies.
Desmond will also be speaking the night before at the Poverty Forum. Tickets for the Poverty Forum are on sale now and available here.
Session topics at the Summit include:
- Public Relations & Advocacy Strategies: Introducing Communities to New Projects
- Financial & Zoning Incentives – City of Asheville & Buncombe County
- Fair Housing Act – Policy & Practice
- Development Services & State Building Code – Pitfalls & Tips
- Banking Sector Perspectives
- Resident & Community Engagement Strategies
- Tax Incentive Financing – Beyond LIHTC
- Universal Design & Accessibility
- Bringing New Players & New Designs to the Table in Development
- Citizen’s Guide to Affordable Housing Development
- Supportive Housing Strategies
- Legislative Update with NC Housing Coalition